Sunday, June 19, 2011

Thing #16 Facebook

Facebook! EVERYONE I know has Facebook. I was first inspired to enter Facebook because it focused on college students. I thought joining Facebook would help me know some of my college classmates I see in class every week. After knowing them we could get together and study and hang out. When you are new to an area it is hard to make friends and Facebook, back then was a great way to make those friends. Now Facebook is for anybody as long as they are 13 and older. I wish Facebook was a bit more stern on this 13 year old rule, making the age limit to be a older would also be wise. Social networking sites should be for more of a mature crowd which Facebook does channel, meaning no limitations; that is not good for tweens. Facebook would be a great motivational way to engage my kids in learning. I could set up a class group and invite my students in that group and have many great discussions on stuff we are learning. We could upload pictures of things we see that might remind us of Math for example and much more. Since I teach fourth grade, it wouldn't be possible for them to get a Facebook account since they are 9-10 year old. For me Facebook is a source I use to keep in touch with new and old friends. Since ALL my friends and family (except for my parents) are on Facebook it becomes easy to invite them to events or even sent our a save the date reminder for a reunion we might be planning. Its also nice to see pictures of my friends on Facebook and to see what is going on in their life and how happy they are. 




No comments:

Post a Comment